Pages

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

vintage poetry presents Peycho Kanev :





The Reportage

A wooden cabin in the woods.
I sit by the dusty window and
look at the greenness of the world
outside.

Nothing interesting happening
inside but out there on the ground
between the trees and the bushes

there’s a little red and blue bird
bathed in afternoon light. It just
stands there as if trying to communicate

with me.
Hey, little birdie do you want to discuss
the problems of Essentialism or maybe

you prefer to ponder on the sorites paradox?
Whatever you want. But before that, please,
take notice of the bobcat which is slowly
creeping towards you.


 Now

You write these poems so someone could read
them, right? And someone reads some poetry
right now, probably not written by you but
it’s still good.

The printed page glitters in this dark world,
giving enough strength to the heart for just
one more beat. It is still night and the book

in my hand flashes as a lantern on the shore,
a rescue beacon to all illiterate ships wandering
through the eternal darkness

and the seagull perched on the rocks tells me
that he’s the author of Pablo Neruda’s The Captain's
Verses  -
we all live for that moment, literary or not.


 Come Morning


And the darkness slowly retreats
like a Napoleonic soldier from
the dazzlingly white Russian winter,
carrying nothing but his shattered pride.

On my doorstep you write with your
sparkling letters the beginning of today’s
bright tale, which includes everything,
even me and the shadows like homeless dogs

sniffing the corners and looking for a shelter.
Please, do not come yet. I would like to
sit by the candle light a little more and finish
reading the autobiography of Leon Trotsky.

And after that? Well, then I’m all yours and
you can do with me whatever you want, except
taking me for I walk out there. You know
I can’t stand all this whiteness, I’m a night

person and so is my house, which right now
is awash in your shameless light and the books
on the shelves are already burning and I feel
like I’m back in Nazi Germany in the 30s. 

 

Peycho Kanev is the author of 4 poetry collections and two chapbooks, published in USA and Bulgaria. He has won several European awards for his poetry and he’s nominated for the Pushcart Award and Best of the Net. His poems have appeared in many literary magazines, such as: Poetry Quarterly, Evergreen Review, Front Porch Review, Hawaii Review, Barrow Street, Sheepshead Review, Off the Coast, The Adirondack Review, Sierra Nevada Review, The Cleveland Review and many others.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Peycho Kanev - A fine poet in our midst!

    Raymond Keen - author of "Love Poems for Cannibals"

    ReplyDelete