Pages

Saturday, September 3, 2011

poetry by Valentina Cano


The Traveler
 
Back through symbols,
careening in a current
that pulls me downward
through time to the center
of this apple,
to the worm-pondered hole
into another space,
another choice like a colored ribbon
ready for my taking.
I pull and yank
at the trembling threads,
hanging like crisp clothes,
smelling of green air
and strawberry grass.
Back to that morning
when I stepped on the broken stone
splitting my life in two,
one always stuck
on the wrong side
of the crack.
I’m pulled,
ever backwards,
ever trailing my
ragged train.
-Valentina Cano
 
Machinations
 
I expected a bit more
than this crumpled thought
you’ve flung at me.
It landed with a thud,
the lightest mistake,
too skittish to pick up,
too ragged to put back together.
What I thought was my due
(a word that tingles with scents of charcoal
and worn music books)
has not crossed your mind.
Like a veil of desperate images,
it’s passed over you,
leaving you untouched.
You will never know what I want
and I will never tell you.
-Valentina Cano
 
A Meeting
 
The youngest bird perched
on the nest’s edge.
His feet like molded metal
gripped the twigs.
He looked at the window before him
with eyes that understood storms
but not invisible borders.
His eyes twisted in confusion
as he watched the shaped
moving behind the glass,
like fish under water.
He moved his head,
away,
and screeched at the chalky sky.
-Valentina Cano
 
Voyages
 
He lands like a mattress at my feet.
I gaze at a face made from
cloudless, translucent skies.
His face reflects the deepest greens,
slick grasses of thoughts.
His eyes, pools of melted driftwood,
hammered into place
with concentric words.
I stare at the land beneath me,
at the expanse of his body,
at the space,
the lack of it,
between us as we lay like floatation devices
on the waves of a room
we cannot escape,
in an ocean with no shore.
-Valentina Cano

Valentina Cano is a student of classical singing who spends whatever free time either writing or reading. Her works have appeared in Exercise Bowler, Blinking Cursor, Theory Train, Magnolia's Press, Cartier Street Press, Berg Gasse 19, Precious Metals and will appear in the upcoming editions  A Handful of Dust, The Scarlet Sound, The Adroit Journal, Perceptions Literary Magazine, Welcome to Wherever, The Corner Club Press, Death Rattle, Danse Macabre, Subliminal Interiors, Generations Literary Journal, Super Poetry Highway, Stream Press, Stone Telling, Popshot and Perhaps I'm Wrong About the World. You can find her here:http://coldbloodedlives.blogspot.com 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment